Thursday, May 16, 2013

SEWING PIPING: WHAT YOU WILL NEED


Piping is used in a few different DIY projects like slipcovers and pillows. I love using piping because it gives a piece more character and definition. It also has a more professional look to it. Piping can match the fabric you are using for your project or for a more bold look you can make your piping in a contrasting fabric color. This requires more skill however because you will see your mistakes easier. But GO FOR IT! You never get good at something unless you TRY. So for those who are interested in saving money by making your own piping or just want a custom look for your project I have made a list of things that you will need to get. That is the worst thing for me is to get started in on a project and I end up missing a key part. Piping is very simple to make! This is what you will need:


  • SEWING MACHINE
      • You don't need a top of the line sewing machine. I just use a Kenmore.

  • ZIPPER FOOT
      • Most machines come with one. Mine did but it didn't go on the right side of the needle like I needed it to so I bought one from Jo-Anns.

  • HEAVY DUTY THREAD
      • Buy a heavy duty thread as you will most likely be using a heavy durable fabric. I use Dual Duty Heavy Tread.

  • DENIM NEEDLE
      • These needles are best for multiple layers of heavy fabric. They are stronger and won't snap on you. I have learned from experience! (110/18)

  • FABRIC
      • An upholstery fabric works best  because you want a strong fabric that can take a beating. What a shame it would be to pick a beautiful fabric only to have holes and tears left in it. (8-10 oz weight)
      • If this is your first time making something I would suggest buying an inexpensive fabric. Prices can really get outrageous. Get some practice in. 

  • CORDING
      • I found some cotton cording made by Wrights at Jo-Anns as well. They come in all sizes. I like to use a smaller size (6/32'' / 5.8mm) because it looks good. Use the size that you like. It can come on rolls or in packets depending on how much you will need.

  •  FABRIC SCISSORS
      • You child's school scissors just won't cut it :) (Fiskars are good)

  • TAPE MEASURE
      • This will come in handy if you want to measure your piping ... and remember it. I like to make a few covers for things especially pillows. I keep a log so I can just go back and see my measurement there. 
  • PINS
      • I don't use pins unless I absolutely need to. You can if you want to keep your cording snug without doing it by hand. I just hold things in place as I sew piping.
That is it!  Now make your shopping list. Comment if you ever have questions. I will give you more detail on making your fabric choice later as well as a tutorial on piping. Keep checking in to see whats new. Have a great day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment